A ghost story is a story with frightening or supernatural elements. A ghostly tale may feature hauntings of ghosts or spirits. Here are a few tales (and other works) that should help get you in the mood for Halloween. Read more:
- Ghost Stories
- An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose Bierce
- The Hound of the Baskervilles - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- Gawayne's Ghost - Robert Buchanan
- The Apparition - Guy de Maupassant
- Tomlinson - Rudyard Kipling
In The Poor Ghost - Christina Rossetti writes, "I go home alone to my bed, / Dug deep at the foot and deep at the head, / Roofed in with a load of lead, / Warm enough for the forgotten dead." Then: "But why did your tears soak thro' the clay, / And why did your sobs wake me where I lay? / I was away, far enough away: / Let me sleep now till the Judgment Day."
Read more ghostly poems and stories...