1. Education

To Live Each Day...

By January 3, 2014

Books - Sansara - iStockphotoI'd dearly love to curl up with a good book and dream the day away. With the chaos of work and life, we have so few moments when we can really bury ourselves in a book and disappear into that wonderful fantastical, fictional realm of the imagination. We watch what happens. It all unfolds in our mind's eye, and we imagine... Anything (and everything) becomes possible!

So, this year, I've resolved to read something every day. It doesn't have to be a full novel a day (that would just be setting myself up for failure--likely), but I will read a little something. I will think about how my reading relates to my life and other works I've read. I will hope and I will dream, but I will also live each day with purpose.

Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail."

Most of us are reading quotes about time and destiny and hope and dreams and planning. We all have our battles to fight, but we also have our successes to count.

Emerson also wrote: "To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded!"

How will you live each day?

Comments

January 9, 2013 at 10:01 pm
(1) PJ says:

Oh, I LOVE that post! it speaks right to my goal for this year! Thank you-

January 11, 2013 at 8:51 am
(2) Helen says:

Love the blog- it’s right down my alley! I love classic literature and have a huge library, so your thoughts of reading every day are perfect- I fully agree! :)

January 12, 2013 at 10:39 pm
(3) Shaily says:

It just made my Day . Thank you :-)

January 13, 2013 at 6:27 am
(4) Betty Hoare says:

Being unexpectedly housebound with no electricity,phone or mobile yesterday, sat by fire and read a WHOLE BOOK,for first time in years – Joan Didion’s “The Year of Magical Thinking.” Very moving and beautifully written

January 14, 2013 at 11:37 am
(5) Sangram Advani says:

Good post. I got inspiration from it and also resolve that I’d read something daily regularly from my library. I love classic literature.

Thanks,

with regards

January 16, 2013 at 1:14 pm
(6) Mayuram V.Sankaran says:

“Read a book a day” — seems like a good resolution for the new year! But there are millions of books around and trillions of pages to read! When my life is limited to at best a thousand months, or about thirty thousand days, what books shall I read and what books shall I give the go-by? We need your help there, Esther Lombardi!

January 20, 2013 at 11:10 am
(7) Veronica says:

Thank you from China: I am aiming for one book a day and acquisition of the Chinese language.

January 10, 2014 at 9:24 am
(8) Gwen says:

Thank you Helen for reminding us to take time and read…it can reveal to us just how precious life is when we read classic literature that speaks to our hearts…