The Cask of Amontillado
is one of Edgar Allan Poe
's most memorable works of horror. The story depicts betrayal and murderous revenge. Here are a few questions for study and discussion.
- What is important about the title?
- What are the conflicts in "The Cask of Amontillado"? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional) do you see in this story?
- How does Edgar Allan Poe reveal character in "The Cask of Amontillado"?
- What are some themes in the story? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- What are some symbols in "The Cask of Amontillado"? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- Is the narrator consistent in his actions? Is he a fully developed character? How? Why?
- Do you find the narrator likable? Would you want to meet him?
- Does the story end the way you expected? How? Why?
- What is the central/primary purpose of the story? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
- Why is the story usually considered a work of horror literature? Would you read it at Halloween?
- How essential is the setting to the story? Could the story have taken place anywhere else?
- What are some of the controversial elements of the story? Were they necessary?
- Would you recommend this story to a friend?