is a famous (and controversial) novel by Vladimir Nabokov
. Here are a few questions for study and discussion.
- What is important about the title, Lolita? Is there a reference (or character) in the novel that explains the title?
- What inspired or influenced Vladimir Nabokov to write Lolita? Answer
- What are the conflicts in Lolita? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional) do you see in the text? Is the conflict easily resolved? Is it ever resolved in the text?
- Compare Lolita and Madame Bovary. Answer
- Compare Lolita with Death in Venice.>li>
- How does Vladimir Nabokov reveal character in Lolita?
- What are some themes in Lolita? Symbols? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- Is Humbert Humbert consistent in his actions? Is he likeable? Is he a fully developed characters?
- What is the central/primary purpose of Lolita? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
- Why is the novel so controversial? Do you think the book should be censored or banned?
- How essential is the setting to the story? Could the story have taken place anywhere else?
- What is the role of family and community in this novel?
- Does Lolita end the way you expected? How? Why?
- Would you recommend this novel to a friend?