is a famous book by Hermann Hesse. Here are a few questions for study and discussion.
- What is significant about the title? What is the meaning of Atman?
- What are the conflicts in Siddhartha? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional) did you see in the novel?
- How does Hesse reveal character in Siddhartha?
- What are some themes in the novel? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- What are some symbols in Siddhartha? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- Are the characters consistent in their actions? Which characters are fully developed? How? Why?
- Do you find the characters likable? Would you want to meet or spend time with any of them?
- Does the novel end the way you expected? How? Why?
- What is the central/primary purpose of the story? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
- What is meaning of knowledge? How does it differ from wisdom?
- How essential is the setting? Could the novel have taken place anywhere else?
- Would you recommend this book to a friend?