- Questions for Study and Discussion
is one of the greatest works by Toni Morrison. Here are a few questions for study and discussion.
- What is important about the title?
- What are the conflicts in Beloved? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional) did you notice in this novel?
- How does Toni Morrison reveal character in Beloved?
- What are some themes in the story? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- What are some symbols in Beloved? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- Is Sethe consistent in her actions? Is she a fully developed character? How? Why?
- Do you find the characters likable? Are the characters persons you would want to meet?
- Does the story end the way you expected? How? Why?
- What is the central/primary purpose of the story? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
- How essential is the setting to the novel? Could the story have taken place anywhere else?
- Why is Beloved so controversial?
- Should Beloved be banned? If so, why (or why not)?
- What is the role of women in the text? How are mothers represented?
- Would you recommend this novel to a friend?