is one of the most famous works by Anna Sewall. Here are a few questions for study and discussion.
- What is important about the title?
- What are the conflicts in Black Beauty? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional) did you notice in this novel?
- How does Anna Sewall reveal character in Black Beauty?
- What are some themes? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- What are some symbols in Black Beauty? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- Do you find the characters likable? Are the characters persons you would want to meet?
- Does the novel end the way you expected? How? Why?
- What is the central/primary purpose? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
- How essential is the setting? Could the story have taken place anywhere else?
- Would you recommend Black Beauty to a friend?