In your book club, you may be reading books on a wide variety of topics. Here are a few questions for study and discussion. These questions are designed to make you think about the book(s). Take a look...
- What did you think the book was about?
- Did you feel that the book fulfilled your expectations?
- Did the author seem to appear in the book? How? Why? Was the presence of the author disruptive? Or did it seem appropriate/fitting?
- Did you enjoy the book? Why? Why not?
- What about the plot? Did it pull you in; or did you feel you had to force yourself to read the book?
- How realistic was the characterization? Would you want to meet any of the characters? Did you like them? Hate them?
- Did the actions of the characters seem plausible? Why? Why not?
- If one (or more) of the characters made a choice that had moral implications, would you have made the same decision? Why? Why not?
- How does the setting figure into the book?
- How would the book have been different if it had taken place in a different time or place?
- What are some of the book's themes? How important were they?
- How are the book's images symbolically significant? Do the images help to develop the plot, or help to define characters?
- Did the book end the way you expected?
- Would you recommend this book to other readers? To your close friend?