A Doll's House
is one of the most famous works by Henrik Ibsen. Here are a few questions for study and discussion.
- What is important about the title?
- What are the conflicts in A Doll's House? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional) did you notice in this novel?
- How does Henrik Ibsen reveal character in A Doll's House?
- What are some themes in the play? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- What are some symbols in A Doll's House? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- Is Nora consistent in her actions? Is she a fully developed character? How? Why?
- Do you find the characters likable? Are the characters persons you would want to meet?
- Does the play end the way you expected? How? Why?
- What is the central/primary purpose? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
- Why is the novel considered a work of feminist literature?
- How essential is the setting? Could the play have taken place anywhere else?
- Would you recommend this play to a friend?