is a well-recognized work by Lois Lowry. Here are a few questions for study and discussion.
- What is important about the title of The Giver? Answer
- What are the conflicts in The Giver? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional) did you notice?
- How does Lois Lowry reveal character in The Giver?
- What are some themes? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- What are some symbols in The Giver? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- Are the characters consistent in their actions? Which of the characters are fully developed? How? Why?
- Do you find the characters likable? Are the characters persons you would want to meet?
- Does The Giver end the way you expected? How? Why?
- What is the central/primary purpose of The Giver? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
- How essential is the setting? Could The Giver have taken place anywhere else?
- What elements of the story, plot, characterization, etc. are the most controversial?
- Would you recommend The Giver to a friend?