Questions for Study & Discussion
- What is important about the Steinbeck's title? Discussion
- What is the Biblical reference to the "grapes of wrath" that appears to be the earliest known source or inspiration for John Steinbeck's famous novel? Discussion
- What are the conflicts in Grapes of Wrath? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional) do you see?
- How does John Steinbeck reveal character in The Grapes of Wrath?
- What are some themes and symbols in the novel? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- Are the main characters consistent in their actions? Are they fully developed characters? How? Why?
- Do you find the characters likable? Are the characters persons you would want to meet?
- What is the central/primary purpose of the story? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
- How essential is the setting to the story? Could the story have taken place anywhere else?
- What is(are) the role(s) of women in the text?
- Would you recommend this novel to a friend? Would you read other works by John Steinbeck?
- Why is Grapes of Wrath so controversial? Do you think it should be banned?
- Does the novel end the way you expected? How? Why?
- Why is Grapes of Wrath considered such a great classic? Discussion
For more resources related to Grapes of Wrath, please review the pages below:Study Guide