is one of the greatest works by Charlotte Bronte. Here are a few questions for study and discussion.
- What is important about the title?
- What are the conflicts in Jane Eyre? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional) did you notice in this novel?
- How does Charlotte Bronte reveal character in Jane Eyre?
- What are some themes in the story? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- What are some symbols in Jane Eyre? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- Is Jane Eyre consistent in her actions? Is she a fully developed character? How? Why?
- Do you find the characters likable? Are the characters persons you would want to meet?
- Does the story end the way you expected? How? Why?
- What is the central/primary purpose of the story? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
- How does the novel relate to feminist literature?
- How essential is the setting to the story? Could the story have taken place anywhere else?
- What is the role of women in the text? How are mothers represented? What about single/independent women?
- Would you recommend this novel to a friend?