The Jungle is one of the greatest (and most controversial) works by Upton Sinclair. Here are a few questions for study and discussion.
- What is important about the title: The Jungle? Answer
- What are the conflicts in The Jungle? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional) did you notice in this novel?
- How does Upton Sinclair reveal character in The Jungle?
- What are some themes in the novel? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- What are some symbols in The Jungle? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- Is Jurgis Rudkus consistent in her actions? Is he a fully developed character? How? Why?
- Do you find the characters likable? Are the characters persons you would want to meet?
- Does the novel end the way you expected? How? Why?
- What is the central/primary purpose of the novel? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
- Why is the novel usually considered a work of protest literature?
- How essential is the setting to the story? Could the story have taken place anywhere else?
- What is the role of women in the text? How are mothers represented? What about single/independent women?
- Would you recommend this novel to a friend?