Some of my earliest (and most cherished) memories are related to libraries. I've spend many hours thumbing through stacks of books, devouring the covers of colorful volumes, and carrying out tall stacks of volumes for late-night reading. Such a life--filled with reading, and connected with libraries--must seem strange to many people, especially as we begin to see the problem of non-reading reaching epidemic proportions. But, reading is still popular. So, what can we do to encourage reading? Here are a few ideas:
- Do you know what resources the library offers? If you don't know what resource you can access, find out!
- Visit your library on a regular basis.
- Don't take your library for granted. It might not be there forever.
- If you've never visited your local library, find it and visit it.
- Remember, libraries are facing increasingly difficult time. Do what you can to help--by becoming a patron, donating books, or becoming a volunteer.