Lord of the Flies
is a famous (and controversial) novel by William Golding
. Here are a few questions for study and discussion.
- What is important about the title? Is there a reference in the novel that explains the title? Answer
- What are the conflicts in Lord of the Flies? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional)?
- How does William Golding reveal character in Lord of the Flies?
- What are some themes in the story? Symbols? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- Are the boys consistent in their actions? Are they fully developed characters? Are some characters more fully developed than others? How? Why?
- Do you find the characters likable? Are the characters persons you would want to meet?
- What is the central/primary purpose of the story? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
- Why is the novel so controversial? Do you think the book should be censored or banned? Answer
- How essential is the setting to the story? Could the story have taken place anywhere else?
- What is the role of family and community in this novel?
- Does the story end the way you expected? How? Why?
- Would you recommend this novel to a friend? What are some similar titles? Must Reads