"The Raven" is one of Edgar Allan Poe's most memorable works. Here are a few questions for study and discussion.
- What is important about the title of the poem, "The Raven"? Why does he use the title?
- What are the conflicts in "The Raven"? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional) do you read?
- How does Edgar Allan Poe reveal character in "The Raven"?
- What are some themes? Symbols? How do they relate to the overall flow or meaning of the poem?
- Does the poem end the way you expected? How? Why?
- What is the central/primary purpose of the poem? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
- How does the work relate to Poe's other works of supernatural and horror literature? Would you read it at Halloween?
- How essential is the setting? Could the poem have taken place in another place or time? Do you get enough of a sense of where and when the poem takes place?
- What is the significance of the raven in mythology and literature?
- How is madness or insanity explored in the poem?
- Would you recommend this poem to a friend?