Published in the First Quarto in 1597 (the authorized version was published in 1599), William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is still studied in English literature and drama classrooms (college and high school).
- Title: The Most Excellent and Lamentable Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet
- Author: William Shakespeare
- Type of Work & Genre: Tragic Drama / PLay
- Time & Place (Setting): Verona and Mantua, Italy; Renaissance
- Publisher: Thomas Creede
- Publication Date: 1597
- Great English classic drama
- One of Shakespeare's most famous works
- A retelling of a well-known tale (but with substantial and memorable contributions from William Shakespeare)
- Banned and challenged because of controversial elements in the play: teen sex, drug use, violence and suicide
How It Fits In
William Shakespeare drew from existing (well-known) works when he penned Romeo and Juliet.