- 'Sense and Sensibility' Summary
- Complete Text
- Questions for Study & Discussion
- Jane Austen Biography
- Jane Austen Books
- Jane Austen Quiz
- Title: Sense and Sensibility
- Author: Jane Austen
- Type of Work & Genre: Romance, narrative
- Time & Place (Setting): Southwest England, 1792-1797
- Publisher: Thomas Egerton, Military Library (Whitehall, London)
- Publication Date: 1811
- Great English literary classic
- Jane Austen's first book, initially published by "A Lady"
How It Fits In
- Elinor Dashwood - 19 years old heroine. Daughter of Henry Dashwood (eldest). She falls in love with with Edward Ferrars.
- Marianne Dashwood - 17 years old heroine. Daughter of Henry Dashwood (second oldest). She falls in love with John Willoughby. She recognizes the misjudgment and eventually marries Colonel Brandon.
- Edward Ferrars - The older brother of Fanny Dashwood and Robert Ferrars. He falls in love with Elinor and marries her (he was secretly engaged to Lucy Steele).
- Colonel Brandon - Retired. Sir John Middleton's friend. In love with Marianne Dashwood.
- Mrs. Dashwood - Mother of Elinor, Marianne, and Margaret. Henry Dashwood's second wife.
- Henry Dashwood - His children are: John Dashwood (first marriage) and Elinor, Marianne, and Margaret Dashwood. He dies in the first chapter.
- Fanny Dashwood - John Dashwood's manipulative wife. Sister of Edward and Robert Ferrars.
- John Dashwood - Norland Estate heir. Fanny Dashwood's husband.
- Margaret Dashwood - 13 year old. Daughter of Henry Dashwood (youngest, with Mr. Dashwood's second wife).
- Mrs. Ferrars - The wealthy, manipulative mother of Edward and Robert who disinherits her first son when he refuses to marry a rich heiress.
- John Willoughby - He was the object of Marianne Dashwood's affection, but he eventually marries Miss Sophia Grey.
- Robert Ferrars - The younger brother of Edward and Fanny. Robert inherits his mother's fortune. He marries Lucy Steele.
- Miss Sophia Grey - Wealthy heiress. She becomes Willoughby's wife.
- Mrs. Jennings - Lady Middleton's mother.
- Lady Middleton - A distant relation of the Dashwoods who lives at Barton Cottage with her husband Sir John Middleton and their four spoiled children
- Sir John Middleton - A relation to the Dashwoods. Mrs. Dashwood goes to live (with her daughters) at Barton Cottage, upon his invitation.
- Mr. Thomas Palmer - Mrs. Palmer's husband.
- Mrs. Charlotte Palmer - Mrs. Jennings' talkative and foolish daughter who invites the Dashwood sisters to stay at her home in Cleveland on their way from London to Barton.
- Anne Steele - Lucy Steele's older, unmarried sister who accidentally reveals her sister's secret engagement to Edward Ferrars.
- Lucy Steele - Mrs. Jennings' cousin. She marries Robert Ferrars (she was secretly engaged to Edward Ferrars).