Tender is the Night
is one of the greatest works by F. Scott Fitzgerald
. Here are a few questions for study and discussion.
- What is important about the title: Tender is the Night?
- What are the conflicts in Tender is the Night? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional) are in this novel?
- How does F. Scott Fitzgerald reveal character in Tender is the Night?
- What are some themes in the story? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- What are some symbols in Tender is the Night? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- Is Dr. Dick Divers consistent in his actions? Is he a fully developed character? How? Why?
- Do you find the characters likable? Would you want to meet the characters?
- Does the story end the way you expected? How? Why?
- What is the central/primary purpose of the novel? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
- Is Dr. Dick Divers a strong character?
- How essential is the setting to the story? Could the novel have taken place anywhere else? In any other time?
- What is the role of women in the text? Is love relevant? Are relationships meaningful?
- How does Tender is the Night compare with The Great Gatsby?
- Would you recommend this novel to a friend?