To Kill a Mockingbird
is the only known novel by Harper Lee. Here are a few questions for study and discussion.
- What is important about the title?
- What are the conflicts in To Kill a Mockingbird? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional)?
- How does Harper Lee reveal character in To Kill a Mockingbird?
- What are some themes in the story? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- What are some symbols in To Kill a Mockingbird? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
- Is Scout consistent in her actions? Is she a fully developed character? How? Why?
- Do you find the characters likable? Are the characters persons you would want to meet?
- Does the story end the way you expected? How? Why?
- What is the central/primary purpose of the story? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
- Why is the novel often considered controversial? Would you ban (or censor) this book?
- How essential is the setting to the story? Could the story have taken place anywhere else?
- Would you recommend this novel to a friend?