A person's first love is unforgettable... Read what classic writers have written about the first time characters fall in love.
1. First Loveby Ivan Turgenev, V. S. Pritchett, and Isaiah Berlin (Translator). Penguin. Vladimir Petrovich writes the story of his first love with Zinaida Zasyekin.
by Carmela Ciuraru (Editor). Scribner. Here's an anthology that explores those first works that first inspired writers. This book is perfect for literature lovers, writers, and just about anyone who wants to remember the first time a work was inspirational and really captivating.
3. Words of Love: Quotations from the First Blush to the Final Sighby Jordan L. Linfield, Joseph Krevisky. Random House. From the publisher: "More than just quotes about romance, Words of Love gathers together wit and witticisms, lyrics and sonnets, proverbs and outrageous declarations that will touch, entertain, and even make readers laugh out loud. This collection spans over 2,000 years, with hundreds of eclectic themes surrounding love..."
by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
. Penguin. From the publisher: "Of Love and Other Demons
is set in a South American seaport in the colonial era, a time of viceroys and bishops, enlightened men and Inquisitors, saints and lepers and pirates."
5. Sir Walter Scott's First Loveby Adam Scott. M. S. G. Haskell House. From the publisher: "Interesting and intriguing sidelights on certain episodes in the life and work of Sir Walter Scott. Chapters include' The Lady of the Green Mantle,' 'Light Thrown Upon Scott's Story in His Works,' 'Intimacy and Courtship,' 'Disappointment,' 'Sir William Forbes,' 'Marriage,' 'Scott's Dual Life'."
6. Shelley's First Love : The Love Story of Percy Bysshe Shelley by Desmond Hawkins. Shoe String Press. Drawing from diaries and other source material, Hawkins explores the relationship between Percy Bysshe Shelly and his first cousin, Harriet Grove.
7. My First Love Affair and Other Stories by Sholom Aleichem, Curt Leviant (Translator). Dover Publications. This book collect 19 short stories and a one-act play by Sholom Aleichem (1859-1916). Filled with humor, Aleichem's stories inspired "Fiddler on the Roof," the music theater classic.
8. Milton's "First Couple" : Love & Alienation in Paradise Lostby Hilda U. Stubbings. Rubena Press. From the publisher: "The Biblical parable of Creation has been the most pervasive influence on the lives of women in the Judeo-Christian culture. In his characterization of Adam & Eve, Milton goes far beyond the ancient lore he used as source material."
9. First Love : The Affections of Modern Fictionby Maria DiBattista. University of Chicago Press. Maria DiBattista explores the theme of first love and its relationship to modern fiction.
10. Carlyle's First Loveby Carlyle's First Love. M. S. G. House. From the publisher: "A complete account of Carlyle's relationship with Lady Bannerman. Illus. This title is cited and recommended by Cambridge Bibliography of English Literature."