From the article: Memoir
A memoir is a nonfiction work, a type of autobiographical book, but historically from a more public slant/perspective. Death Be Not Proud is a famous literary memoir. What's your favorite memoir? Tell us all about it... Tell us all about it...
Best of Memoirs !!!!!!
- Painted House by John Grisham, Wish You Well by David Baldachi and not to forget How Green Was My Valley !
- —Guest Pushkar
A Factual Memoir
- As both a book critic and a memoirist I accept that many memoirs ought to have been marketed as fictional or at least fiction based on fact. But HORSES DON'T FLY: A MEMOIR OF WORLD WAR i by Frederick Libby is, in my view, one of the most interesting and informative memoirs I've encountered. As a veteral fighter pilot of WW II and a student of air power I had at first doubted the accuracy of the story. But the facts proved true, Libby a pre-WW II cowboy voumteered for the British Royal Flying Corps, became the first Amican fighter ace and awarded a Military Cross and then transterrd to an American unit. Following the war he became a businessman. making and losing a fortune exploring for oil then establishing the Western Air Express. His style of writing reminds one of the novels of the Old West. Captain Frederick Libby died in 1970, an aviation pioneer to be remembered.
- —Guest Robert Huddleston
- Persian Girls is an intimate look at the difficulties in being a thinking woman in the culture of Iran.
- —Guest Jeanne Voelker
- I have loved many memoirs, but Glass Castle is my favorite. Jeanette Walls' memories of her childhood were the most poignant I've read. Her climb from a deep abyss to success is an outstanding read and shouldn't be missed.
- —Guest Sunny
- My favorite of water by James McBride. His ability to describe racism is very insightful without being bitter. I am black and he gave me insight.
- —Guest Vivian
- Most uplifting tale of a childhood filled with poverty, illness, shame and an almost worthless father but Frank McCourt doesn't view it as negative or feel sorry for himself at all. Written with such style, grace and humor, you go back in time to Ireland and become a child with him again.
- —Guest Anna
Best Memoir Ever!
- Maya Angelou is tops when it comes to using language to paint the picture of her life with bold colors and broad strokes. She can make me laugh with her varied palette and break my heart with one sweeping stroke of her brush.
- —Guest I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings